Primary sources: Personal Accounts
Firsthand accounts that focus on the authors' role in the events in which they participated. Includes autobiographies, diaries, correspondence, memoirs, and personal narratives.
This selective list includes some general bibliographies, gateways, and indexes along with some of the more extensive primary source collections available at Lafayette College. For more subject-specific resources or individual titles, consult the library's annotated list of E-Resources by subject, and follow suggestions for library catalog searches below.
- Arksey. American Diaries Bibliography
- Location: Skillman Ref CT214 .A77 1983x
Annotated bibliography of published American diaries and journals.
- American Women's Diaries Collection
- Location: Microforms (connect to catalog)
Diaries of eight middle and upper class women who lived in New England between 1761 and 1910. Includes guide and index to 21 microfilm reels.
- Cole. Civil War Eyewitnesses Bibliography
- Location: Skillman Ref E601 .C67
Annotated bibliography of personal narratives written by soldiers, civilians, and foreign travelers that were published as books or articles between 1955 and 1996. (2 volumes)
- In the First Person Gateway
- Index to collections of letters, diaries, oral histories, and personal narratives from all time periods--many available online as transcripts or sound files. A small portion of the material is accessible by individual subscription only.
Use the table below to develop search strings for locating primary source bibliographies and collections in library catalogs.
|Searching for . . .||Enter this phrase||+||modifier(s)
|diaries (by topic)||diaries||and||[ethnic group]
|personal accounts||personal narratives||and||[event]
- personal narratives and united states and slavery
- bibliography and autobiograph* and women
- diaries and holocaust