Gov 334: American Security Policy
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- Coverage: 1975-present
Index of articles on political science and related fields, including international relations, law, and public policy. An important source for locating scholarly sources on foreign affairs.
- Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life
- Coverage: 1954-present
Companion databases indexing journal articles, book reviews, and dissertations on history. Historical Abstracts covers the history of the world (1450 to present) except for the U.S. and Canada, which is covered by America: History and Life (prehistory to present).
- Comparative Strategy
- Foreign Affairs
- Foreign Policy
- International Organization
- International Security
- Policy Studies Journal
- SAIS Review of International Affairs
- National security -- United States
- United States -- Foreign relations -- [country]
e.g.: United States -- Foreign relations -- China
- United States -- Military policy
- LexisNexis Academic
- A database of the full text of hundreds of newspapers, including many international titles. For international news sources, select News from the column on the left, then Foreign language. Or select News, then Newspapers & wires, and check the box for Non-U.S.
- World News Connection
- Database of news and information gathered from non-U.S. newspapers, wire services and news broadcasts and translated into English. Materials go back to about 1994. Older materials are available from a microfiche collection; ask a librarian for assistance.
- New York Times historical backfile
- Cover-to-cover, full image backfile of the New York Times from the first issue through 2007. (For an electronic version of articles from 2008 forward, use LexisNexis Academic.)
- Washington Post historical backfile
- Cover-to-cover, full image backfile of the Washington Post from the first issue through 1994. (For an electronic version of articles from 1995 forward, use LexisNexis Academic.)
- FAS Collection of Congressional Research Service Reports
- Selection of reports written by the Congressional Research Service for members of Congress on issues relating to foreign policy and national security.
- Foreign Affairs Ministries on the Web
- List of links for locating Web sites of ministries of foreign affairs from the United States Institute of Peace. Useful when searching for a government's position on a foreign policy issue.
- Foreign Relations of the United States, 1932-1976
- Collection of primary source documents from presidential libraries, Departments of State and Defense, NSA, CIA, AID, foreign affairs agencies, and private papers of individuals involved in formulating U.S. foreign policy. Selected volumes online. Complete print version available in Skillman Library (JX 233 .A3).
- Historic Documents (1972-2009)
- Annual collection of primary sources covering significant events of the year. Includes materials such as speeches, international agreements, and reports from governments, NGOs, and other organizations. Each document is preceded by an introduction providing context and background.
- National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Books
- Collection of declassified United States government documents on foreign affairs and national security since World War II. Documents are grouped by topic and cover U.S. involvement in the Middle East as well as other parts of the world.
- U.S. Department of State: Diplomacy in Action
- Publications, press releases, speeches, etc. relating to the foreign affairs and foreign policy of the United States.
- Chicago Style Citation Quick Guide
- Examples of citations for various types of materials written in Chicago style.
When you're searching Worldwide Political Science Abstracts or other databases, be on the look out for articles from these scholarly journals, all of which the Lafayette Libraries subscribe to.
Books in Skillman and Kirby
If you're researching a topic currently in the news, don't assume we don't have books on the topic. We may well have something published very recently or something that traces the roots of an issue that is now coming to a head.
Guides for citing sources
For assistance in finding research material for this course, contact:
125 Skillman Library
Or consult another reference librarian at Skillman.