Primary sources: Personal Accounts
Firsthand accounts that focus on the authors' role in the events in which they participated. Includes autobiographies, diaries, correspondence, memoirs, and personal narratives.
This selective list includes some general bibliographies, gateways, and indexes along with some of the more extensive primary source collections available at Lafayette College. For more subject-specific resources or individual titles, consult the library's annotated list of research tools by subject, and follow suggestions for library catalog searches below.
- Arksey. American Diaries Bibliography
- Location: Skillman Ref CT214 .A77 1983x
Annotated bibliography of published American diaries and journals.
- American Women's Diaries Collection
- Location: Microforms (connect to catalog)
Diaries of eight middle and upper class women who lived in New England between 1761 and 1910. Includes guide and index to 21 microfilm reels.
- Cole. Civil War Eyewitnesses Bibliography
- Location: Skillman Ref E601 .C67
Annotated bibliography of personal narratives written by soldiers, civilians, and foreign travelers that were published as books or articles between 1955 and 1996. (2 volumes)
- Early Encounters in North America Collection
- Major collection of over 100,000 pages of letters, diaries, memoirs, and accounts of early encounters between Europeans and North American Indians. Indexed to allow for unique browsing and searching (e.g. by type of flora or fauna, encounters between specific groups of peoples, particular events or places, etc.).
- North American Immigrant Letters, Diaries, and Oral Histories Collection
- Database documenting the experiences in North America of immigrants from across the globe. The collection can be searched by facets such as 'age when writing', 'point of departure', and 'occupation', etc. or can be browsed by place ('where written', 'where sent', 'discussed'), nationality, and personal events experienced.
Use the table below to develop search strings for locating primary source bibliographies and collections in library catalogs.
|Searching for . . .||Enter this phrase||+||modifier(s)
|diaries (by topic)||diaries||and||[ethnic group]
|personal accounts||personal narratives||and||[event]
- personal narratives and united states and slavery
- bibliography and autobiograph* and women
- diaries and holocaust