Finding DVDs, videocassettes, and streaming video
This guide provides basic tips for using the Library Catalog to find DVDs, videocassettes, and streaming video in Skillman and Kirby's collections.
A note on terms:
Videorecording is the generic term used in our catalog to denote both DVDs and videocassettes. The format is designated in the portion of the record labeled "Phys desc" [Physical description], where the term videodisc is used for DVDs and videocassettes for VHS.
To find a specific film...
- Perform a title search in the Library Catalog for the name of a film or television program; (For tv programs with common titles (e.g. "The Wire," "Rome") add television program to the end of the title (e.g. The Wire television program)
- Perform an author search in the Library Catalog for the name of a director, producer, or actor.
To find a film on a particular topic...
- Perform a subject search in the Library Catalog for a topic. Choose the "Limit This Search" button at the top of the results page. Then choose "video, film, etc." from the "material type" drop-down menu.
To limit your search to a particular format...
- Add the phrase and videocassettes to a keyword search.
- Add the phrase and DVD-video discs to a keyword search.
- Add the phrase and internet videos to a keyword search.
To find a film by genre (e.g., horror or film noir) or form (e.g. animated or silent or short)...
- Perform a genre search in the Library Catalog.
To find a film produced in a particular country...
- Perform a genre search in the Library Catalog for feature films [country] (e.g., feature films mexico).
To browse a list of films by release date...
- Perform a keyword search limited to a single year by using the phrase picture in [year] (e.g., picture in 1965). Note: The date displayed on the results list is the year the video was produced, not the year the motion picture was originally released.
- Perform a keyword search limited to a single decade by combining the phrase "picture in," the first three digits of a decade, and two asterisks (e.g., picture in 196**).
- Or, choose a span of years by clicking on a link below.