Configuring Google Scholar and PubMed to Show WebBridge
WebBridge is available from all of the libraries' subscription databases and also from within free resources like Google Scholar and PubMed. When you're on-campus, WebBridge will automatically appear in Google Scholar, but seeing it from off-campus requires you to set a Google Scholar preference in your browser (or use a special URL to get there). On-campus or off-campus, WebBridge will only appear in PubMed when you're logged in to your "My NCBI" account.
When you're off campus, you need to let Google Scholar know that you want to see Lafayette's WebBridge links. If you regularly use Google Scholar from off-campus, follow the instructions below. If this is a one shot deal, it's easier just to use this link instead. (The link uses a URL that makes it appear like you're coming from on-campus, and Google Scholar should offer you WebBridge links by default.)
To set your Google Scholar "Library Links" preference:
- Go to Google Scholar at http://scholar.google.com/.
- Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner of the screen under the gear icon.
- Click "Library links" on the left. In the "Library Links" search box, type "Lafayette College."
- Immediately underneath the search box, check the box marked "Lafayette College - Lafayette WebBridge."
- In the bottom or top right-hand corner of the screen, click the "Save Preferences" button.
Once you have completed these steps, you should see "Lafayette WebBridge" links appear below or to the right of most (but not all) of your search results in Google Scholar. Your saved preferences are stored as a "cookie" in your browser, so you shouldn't need to go through this process again unless you clear all your cookies or you use another browser (or computer). Note that setting your Google Scholar Library Links preference to Lafayette WebBridge does not identify you to journal providers as being affiliated with Lafayette, so access to most content will still require authentication with your Network ID and password.
To see WebBridge from within PubMed, you need to have a My NCBI account (it's free) and configure it to use WebBridge. Once you've done this, you'll see WebBridge links whenever you're logged in to your My NCBI account.
To enable WebBridge in PubMed:
- Go to PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/.
- Log in to My NCBI using your existing My NCBI username and password, or register for an account and then log in.
- Go to "PubMed Preferences."
- Click the link to "Outside Tool."
- Click the "L" button in the alphabetical list, select "Lafayette WebBridge," and click the Save button.
After doing the above, as long as you're logged in to My NCBI, you will see a WebBridge button when viewing a PubMed record. (The button does not appear on search results screens.) Note that setting the Outside Tool preference for Lafayette WebBridge does not identify you to journal providers as being affiliated with Lafayette, so access to some content will still require authentication with your Network ID and password.