Friends of Skillman Library
The Friends of Skillman Library is an association of individuals dedicated to increasing and making better known the resources of Lafayette College's library. Founded in 1964, the Friends has more than 300 members, including alumni, faculty, students, community residents, and others who share a special interest in assuring the library's continuing vitality.
Through gifts and membership dues, the Friends makes possible the purchase of rare books, manuscripts, and other material that could not otherwise be acquired by the library; supports the development of digital initiatives; sponsors numerous public programs and exhibitions; and hosts the annual John L. Hatfield '67 Lecture. Strengthening Lafayette student ties to the library is another Friends' priority. The Friends provides a one-year free membership for graduating student employees.
Although the primary benefit of membership is the satisfaction that comes from making a lasting contribution to learning, Friends enjoy the following special benefits:
- Borrowing Privileges: Members who contribute $75 or more will receive a library card entitling them to borrow books from the general collection.
- Publications: Members receive the Library newsletter, published twice a year, along with exhibition posters and special occasional publications.
- Exhibits: Friends are invited to attend exhibit openings, receptions, and other events.
- Lectures: Friends receive special notification of brown bag lunch programs that include lectures by faculty and other invited speakers.
- Annual Meeting: Friends are invited to attend the annual meeting in the spring, which includes dinner and a special lecture.
Becoming a Member
Membership contributions range from the $25 basic level to the $1000 Illuminators' Circle. Borrowing privileges (available at the $75 level and up) are activated at the time of application and extend until the close of the current fiscal year (June 30). Contributions should be in the form of a check made payable to Lafayette College.
Membership applications may be picked up at the Skillman Library circulation desk, or can be printed out by clicking on the link below.