Skillman Library is named for David Bishop Skillman, an Easton attorney who served as secretary of the Lafayette Board of Trustees from 1915 until his retirement in 1957. Skillman, who was a member of the Lafayette Class of 1913, also served as assistant to the President and college counsel during the administrations of Henry MacCracken and William Mather Lewis. The original nucleus of the Lafayette Library collection was the library of the Rev. David Bishop, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Easton, for whom David Bishop Skillman was named.
Kirby Library is named for Fred Morgan Kirby, vice-president of the F.W.
Woolworth Company and a trustee of the college from 1916 to 1940. In 1920 he provided funds for the establishment of a Professorship of Civil Rights, and later the funds to build the Kirby Hall of Civil Rights which opened its doors in 1930. The Kirby Library, with its oak-paneled bookcases and elaborate carvings, is the showpiece of the building.